Archive for February, 2013
Because the setup doesn’t match the ‘quick start’ guides…
First, get the dev environment up. I’m using Fedora 17.
- The toolbelt install didn’t get properly setup – bash couldn’t find heroku. It was putting it into the $PATH in .profile, but I’m not sure if Bash on Fedora sources that file. Ended up adding an alias to .bashrc: “alias heroku=/usr/local/heroku/bin/heroku”
- Installing psycopg2 from pip failed. First it wanted gcc, then postgresql-devel to be installed. (Hat tip to Stack Overflow for the solution.)
- PostgreSQL on Fedora didn’t want to start/appear in systemctl until I ran postgresql-setup initdb. This was possibly because I was typoing it, but I’m not sure…
- I had to activate PostgreSQL through the addons panel in Heroku, it wasn’t automatically activated. Then again, apparently once a Django application is detected, a database is automatically setup.
- Because I used Heroku on another system, ssh keys were setup. Added the dev one with heroku keys:add.
- Despite adding the PostreSQL addon, I had to ‘promote it’ to the primary database; it wasn’t done automatically.
The rest of my problems were django based. (Also, unexpectedly long commitments. Oh well.)
Raspberry Pis have been out for a while. And I’m thinking of picking one up for projects over the work term in May – August. (Also, because a Raspberry Pi is just something interesting to have… the possibilities of a cheap & low-power Linux system are numerous.)
I’m not sure how I got onto the subject of LED cubes today in particular, but only seems to be a single project for doing it with a Raspberry Pi, though many tutorials exist for doing it with arduinos.
Fun times ahead, hopefully…
Including new attempts at soldering! Whee!